Amsterdam: Riding a bike in a youthful city

October 06, 2018

Build on a local dam, Amsterdam is known as "Venice of North". With so many grachts (canals) it is only fair to call it this way. However Amsterdam is so much different then Venice, that these kind of "comparisons" seem rather silly.

When I firstly entered the city by train, I knew I was finally there. People were rushing away from the station, nervously looking at their wrists. They were all dressed so typically. It has been modern, elegant and very minimalistic style. Most of the people were wearing coats even though it was late June.

I looked so different than them it was almost funny. I had my long skirt I wear while travelling, a tee with floral print and big sweater hugging my waist. Messy hair and big suitcase didn't help.

After a tourist finally finds a way out the overcrowded station, they can easily access the public transport. I mean.. I almost got lost because of unusual signs for trams. There weren't written anything you need, only the final destination. The GPS were sending me somewhere but my tram never stopped on that place. It always meandered around the tram stop I was on.

Later I found out that the stop for my tram was underground. I felt so stupid and silly. I guess we learn something new everyday.
Flower market.

Sun was up and I couldn't stop admiring the beauty of grachts. It looked the same but for me it was something new. It always is. I visited the city 3 times total and still find something I can do. (And I still haven't attended Banksy museum and Lizard Cafe).

My hotel was located near the Dam Square. It was a nice family hotel with extremely steep stairs. You opened the door and must have been terrified because they were seemingly going straight to the heaven (at least not to the hell). I've already told you something about the stay on my Instagram, so I wouldn't say much about it here (but I will do a dedicated article). The rooms were small, bathroom way smaller, but if you're only sleeping there, it's okay.

After renting a bike, I could go basically everywhere. It feels so good to be free to go anywhere, without a car and for cheap. However it wasn't easy to rent a bike in Amsterdam. I am a small person (160cm) and all of the bikes were too big for me. Fortunately we found one which wasn't. It was made for children actually! So if you're small ask for this kind.

There are many different places in Amsterdam to visit, and I will definitely make a list of them in next article.
Vondelpark near the city centre.

You can easily access a big park across the city center. There are also many different restaurants and bars all over. This quarter is very nice to spend evening in. You also won't pay as much as in city center.

Amsterdam is also city of galleries and museums. There are many famous ones like Museum of Van Gogh or house of Rembrandt. You can however still find more of hidden treasures on your way or simply by googling.
Lots of interesting pieces.

Shopping quartier is also accessible, since it is very close to the Dam square. You can buy so many things in Amsterdam. From souvenirs like wooden shoes made in China or designer minimalistic items. And I am not talking about the biggest names like Gucci or Prada. These are the things from small designers working in the city. The goods aren't even that expensive. You can pay 40€ for a really cool original lamp.
In the Hortus botanical garden.

What I am also considering interesting is a botanical garden. I also directly mentioned it on my insta feed so it might have sounded like an ad. I wish it was! I loved it there. Many cities have wonderful botanical gardens or zoos. Nowadays there are many references so you can always check it out.

I feel so relieving when I enter gardens. You know, you need a bit of rest when you see every temple, every museum and every gallery. It gets confusing with time. You mix names between some of them, you'll forget some of the cathedrals you've been to... Admiring nature for once is a good way to organize everything in your head.
You could also take some flowers home for free!

Take another ride to the city center and find a good cafeteria. Smell of a well made coffee can wake up even the most tired ones. However you need to be careful. Many cafeterias, even the big ones have the worst coffee ever. I remember drinking one, I even put stevia inside, and it was literally the worst coffee of my life. I was feeling sick 3 hours after.
I was stunned by the picturesque cafeteries, but some of them offered awful coffee.

You also need to try some cheese. The local cheese shops offer a tasting of their products for free. I loved the Amsterdam cheese company the best, but they are all good. If you want to be on a budget and want a typical "old Amsterdam" cheese, you can buy one from grocery store. They are called Gouda there.

If you are buying from specialized cheese company (Henri Willig and Amsterdam Cheese Co. are the biggest), always ask for paper so you can keep your cheese fresh in a refrigerator.
Belgian waffles in Netherlands, Why not?

After a cup of coffee you may become hungry. Trying to find a good price point meeting with good value is often impossible. We were eating lunch at a really really small family restaurant very close to the Dam. Spaghetti olio & aglio cost 4€. That's almost impossible. You could also change spaghetti for tagliatelle or farfalle. Spaghetti pomodoro or other typical Italian dishes were however double the prize. The restaurant was called "Hasta la pasta". (Also not sponsored, but I wish haha)

Getting on your bike again you might want to see a magician performing on the Dam Square. Some of them are honestly really good and entertaining. Not even with their tricks but with their talent to keep you watch.
Dam Square during the day.

It's evening and you feel hungry again. If you're on a budget you rush into a near Albert. For me the goods they sell are just amazing. They have everything fresh, made that day and even offer smoothies. You can buy ready-to-eat salad or pasta. After paying you just take a bio-degradable cutlery and you can eat something small for dinner.

If you want to spend more, go to the nearest restaurant and order something typical for Netherlands.

You can add a glass of beer, and you're good to go.

So book your flight, a hotel or airbnb and enjoy your stay! Add this article to your bookmarks to always get back to it!

Hope you liked it as much as I'd loved writing it. Have a great day!

xx, Radka

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I will gladly talk to you here as well as on my Instagram page.

Popular Posts

GET THE BEST RESOURCES!

Join newsletter
* indicates required